Friday, September 16, 2005

A few random thoughts from my day in 2nd grade..

Today when I was teaching social studies, I had a child ask me where page 18 was... He was on page 134. Ummm...maybe we need to work on our numbers. He was really and honestly confused. Oh dear...

I've mentioned before that I have another boy who just moved here from Japan. He's precious. It was rough in the beginning. He was so scared the first few days of school. Who can blame him? But he seems to be doing great now. The kids have been so sweet to him too. I love knowing that he has a friend to play with on the playground now. It breaks your heart to see new kids wandering around the playground looking lost and lonely. The kids also marvel at how smart he is when they hear him say a new word. And I do too... He's finally starting to say my name. I'll hear a small voice say, "Mrs. Cope"...so cute! He's learned other words too. He says "ouch" all the time...and "finished" whenever he's done with his work. He's in fact turning into somewhat of a class clown. We might be giving him a little too much positive feedback every time he opens his mouth. I can't help it!

My new girl from New Orleans is doing better too. I find myself watching her throughout the day and praying that she'll just smile. She raises her hand now and seems to be having fun. It makes my day when I see her making friends or laughing. I'm praying that she can find some sort of an oasis at school. She needs it...

5 comments:

Ashley said...

You are such a good and sweet teacher. Those children are lucking to have you. Just like you are a sweet and good cousin and I am lucking to have you.

Ashley said...

Why I wrote "lucking" instead of "lucky" is beyond me.

I think I was still sleepy.

HA HA!

jkreggp said...

The year that Sandra and I taught at a language school in Japan I had a class of six year olds. I still think of them. They were bright, energetic, happy, and eager to learn. I miss them! I am sure your life will be enriched by this little person who has come your way. Gambate!
--KP

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

Jenna, are you staying in Houston? Just thinking about ya!

Lauren said...

Matt and Jenna,

You are in my prayers. May God give you peace.
Lauren Cunningham